Have you ever wondered if you correctly pronounce the Portuguese words that everyone knows, such as “AÇAÍ” (“açaí berry”), “CAJU” (“cashew”) or “PIRANHA” (“piranha”)?
It is possible that you have been mispronouncing those internationalized Portuguese words wrong… Your whole life!
In this guide with video, audio, cheat sheet, flashcards, and quiz to practice I will teach you how to pronounce Portuguese words that surely ring a bell.
And, if they do not sound familiar, you may have ever stopped to think, for example, “how do you say 🥥 “coconut” in Portuguese?”
- This guide has the purpose of answering your questions and to satisfy your curiosity.
- This list is the result of a research on which are the most googled words and phrases in Portuguese by foreigners on the Internet.
That is, I show you here the words that many people ask Google “how do you say … in Portuguese?”.
- You will find all these words here so that, from now on, you can use them correctly.
🔝Attention: I selected these expressions following a criterion of popularity among foreigners.
H3 Does a beginner need to know all this Portuguese vocabulary?
- Some of these are words that you, as a beginner, should know.
- But many other words do not need to be on your “top priority” Portuguese vocabulary list…
- Maybe you want to at least see and hear these words now, but you just want to incorporate them later into your Portuguese vocabulary.
🔝Since we are talking about top-priority vocab, you have three Portuguese vocabulary guides that I do advise you to check out:
✨46 first words in Portuguese.
✨99+ most relevant verbs in Portuguese.
✨225+ basic Portuguese nouns.
Who is this Portuguese material for?
- If you do not speak any Portuguese, you can start with this guide.
- If you do already speak some Portuguese, this guide will trigger your memory and help you improve your Portuguese pronunciation.
- In both cases, you’re sure to learn new and interesting things here.
The content of this Brazilian Portuguese pronunciation guide for English-speaking beginners
You can click on the index to go to the sections that interest you the most.
Al the end of this blog post you will find more FREE content for English-speaking beginners who want to learn Brazilian Portuguese from scratch, no registration required.
✔I highlight the useful tips in this guide with the symbol.
🎬You have the video with explanations in English.
You also have the video with the same content, explained in Portuguese with subtitles in Portuguese and English. I advise you to watch it if you already speak a little Portuguese, and want to do language immersion.
You have the same content fully explained in Portuguese.
In each section, you have an audio with the words of each topic.
In the audios you can change the playback speed, if you think it is too fast.
At the bottom of this post, you have a quiz to check your knowledge.You have here interactive flashcards with the vocabulary of this list (Portuguese/English). You can choose your favorite gaming or learning mode. You have here interactive flashcards with the vocabulary of this list (Portuguese/pictures). You can choose your favorite gaming or learning mode.
To learn your first words and phrases in Portuguese, and thus get used to the sounds of the language, I suggest this video for English speakers who do not speak any Portuguese.
- In the video I teach useful resources for your next vacation in a Portuguese-speaking country. You have audio and PDF to download here.
If you have no knowledge of Portuguese (or almost none) and want to start from scratch, you have a FREE and ONLINE self-study Brazilian Portuguese mini-course with CERTIFICATE that you will love.
- The course encompasses 5 lessons with video, audio, PDF with theory, examples, exercises, answers and a summary, interactive flashcards, and quiz.
- At the end of the free course, you will be able to form your first Portuguese sentences to use them in your daily communication and on vacation.
- You sign up with two clicks and you can start the Brazilian Portuguese course immediately, if you want. You have no deadline to finish it.
- You can find out more about the mini-course here.
⏩ Free course preview (sneak peek), with many free learning tips, available here, no registration needed.
At the end of this Portuguese blog post for beginners you will find more FREE content with material that you can download, no need to register. I hope you like it!
I hope you’re looking forward to learning more about the Portuguese language. With this guide, I assure, you will feel even more motivated to learn!
After all, Portuguese is such a fun language that, whatever you say, it sounds quite nice. I could give you thousands of examples, and here’s one – a love song whose chorus is just “AI AI AI”! It is simple and a little silly (“AI AI” is what we say when something hurts or when we sigh), but it gives you feel-good Brazilian vibes!
So, let’s get this party started!
How to pronounce in Portuguese basic words and polite expressions that foreigners search on Google
|Bora! / Bora lá!
How to pronounce in Portuguese the most searched phrases on Google by foreigners
|Minha nossa senhora!
|Meu Deus do céu!
|Oh my God!
|(penis – curse word)
How to say compliments and how to flirt in Portuguese: phrases that foreigners ask Google
|Você é muito bonito / lindo.
|You are very handsome. (to a man)
|Você é muito bonita / linda.
|You are very pretty. (to a woman).
|Você é muito fofo.
|You are very sweet. (to a man)
|Você é muito fofa.
|You are very cute. (to a woman)
|the feeling of missing someone or something
|Estou com saudade.
|I miss you.
|Eu gosto de você.
|I like you.
|Eu te amo.
|I love you.
How to pronounce Portuguese random words frequently searched on Google by foreigners
How to pronounce in Portuguese words related to family and personas that are frequently googled by foreigners
|Brazilian (referring to a man)
|Brazilian (referring to a woman)
How to pronounce more Portuguese random words much searched on Google by foreigners
How to pronounce in Portuguese some names of food and drinks frequently searched on Google by foreigners
|suco de laranja
|café com leite
|coffee with milk
How to pronounce Portuguese names of places and personas commonly searched on Google by foreigners
|Rio de Janeiro
|Rio de Janeiro